Ministry of Justice not notified of Hamas ban: Min
Nayer Othman, Minister of Justice (L) - YOUM7
By IBRAHIM QASSEM and RANIA AMER

CAIRO: Minister of Justice Nayer Othman said Thursday that the ministry did not receive official notification from Cairo Court of Urgent Matters of the ban on Hamas’ activities and seizing its funds in Egypt.

The court dissolved Tuesday the activities of Hamas, and ordered the seizure all of its offices in Cairo, pending the end of the Muslim Brotherhood leaders’ trials.

If all legal procedures had been taken to appeal against the court verdict, it could not be re-appealed, so it would be easy to seize the movement’s funds and offices, Othman noted.

An anonymous judicial source said the court verdict would be sent to the cabinet to execute it and then would be sent to the Ministry of Justice to form a committee to count the movement’s properties inside Egypt.

The draft of the court verdict would be also sent to the Central Bank, the Stock Exchange and Financial Supervisory Authority to freeze Hamas members’ funds, the source told Youm7.

A former head of the Cairo Criminal Court Refaat al-Sayyed said the court verdict “indicates that Hamas is a terrorist group,” noting that all the legal procedures would be taken against it, like the procedures taken against the Brotherhood when the cabinet designated it as a terrorist organization Dec. 25.

Arresting members of Hamas could be a repercussion of this verdict, Sayyed told Youm7, adding that they also could barred from traveling aboard as they “could endanger the state’s security.”

However, Hamas leader and deputy head of foreign affairs Ghazi Hamad told The Cairo Post that the movement has no operations in Egypt, making today’s ruling “impractical,” according to.

“The movement has no existence in Egypt,” he said, denying any interference in Egyptian affairs.

Originally published in Youm7.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment