CAIRO: Hamdeen Sabbahi’s electoral campaign maintains it stance against granting immunity to the decisions of the Supreme Electoral Commission, member of the legal committee in the campaign Hamed Gabr said Friday.
He stated to Youm7, however, that if the presidency’s statement to the parties, scheduled to be held on Saturday, maintains the immunity of the SEC’s decisions, Sabahi will run for presidency nonetheless, however maintaining the right to declare a different stance if the procedures before and after the elections appear to be biased and untransparent.
“Our candidate will withdraw from elections should it be revealed that the state is biased against Sabbahi, whether by banning his popular conferences or pursuing the members of the campaign,” Gabr added.
Sabbahi has previously stated, according to VetoGate on March 8, that the upcoming presidential elections are “a democratic match with an uncertain result.” He added that while he has been told that his chances are weak in the last elections, but nonetheless gained 5 million votes.
Sabbahi is the only candidate who has officially announced his bid for presidency thus far, though many speculate that Abdel Fatah al-Sisi will announce it soon. Sisi is backed by a major following, with 51 percent of Egyptians saying that they will vote for him, while only one percent stated that they will vote for Sabbahi, according to a recent poll from Baseera Center.
However, Sisi has repeatedly made statements hinting at his candidacy, only to withdraw them again.
Additional reporting by Mohamed Reda.