Tourism Ministry confirms rape of British tourist in Sharm el-Sheikh
YOUM7 (Archive)
By MUHAMMAD GHAMRAWY

CAIRO: The Ministry of Tourism confirmed that a British tourist was raped in her hotel room by a security guard in Sharm el-Sheikh while she was on holiday last week.

Ministry Spokesperson Rasha el-Azzayzi said in a phone call with CBC channel on Sunday that the ministry received a notification of the incident, clarifying that the incident occurred four days ago.

“It’s not the first incident to happen, and harassment has become a calamity that threatens Egypt,” Azzayzi added, citing the mass harassment incident in Cairo University last week.

Further, the spokesperson stated that “such crimes happen all over the world.”

This response however angered the program anchor, leading her to cut off the telephone call.

The Daily Mail reported on March 23 that the British holidaymaker was raped at her hotel room by a security guard, who was escorting the 40-year-old businesswoman back to her luxury hotel, adding that he pulled her and subjected her to “the brutal assault.”

The newspaper added that the woman has been flown back home, and Hampshire Police are now leading the investigation.

Meanwhile, the coordinator of the I Saw Harassment Initiative Azza Kamel told The Cairo Post that this is not the first such case to occur in Egypt.

“What happened is the state’s responsibility, and reflects [a general] deterioration of values and ethics,” Kamel said, stating that the harassment and rape is a crime against humanity.

The Daily Mail further reported that in 2012, the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) handled 23 cases of sexual assault and six cases of rape in Egypt, adding that many of them occurred at hotels, which should be a safe place.

Egyptian tourism has faced major setbacks since the revolution and in particular since the ouster of Mohamed Morsi. In February four people died in a bus blast, including two Korean tourists, and many more were injured.

Furthermore, in the last month, Germany issued travel warnings to its citizens against travelling to South Sinai, after threats were reportedly received by German tourists.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment