CAIRO: The defense team for the Muslim Brotherhood (MB) leadership is set to receive the case files for the trial known as the “Rabaa al-Adaweya plan” during the plenary session April 1, said defense spokesperson Mohamed el-Damaty on Tuesday.
Damaty told Youm7 the defense would receive the files then immediately request adjournment in order to have time to study them and properly prepare a defense against information they had not seen.
The same defense team represents Mohamed Badie and other Brotherhood leaders and supporters in a series of trials related to the July 3rd ousting of Brotherhood president Mohamed Morsi.
“We have several cases related to the Brotherhood leadership,” Damaty told Youm7, “and we are not able to study the case papers in such a limited amount of time.”
Damaty also served as defense counsel in the Minya trial that sentenced 529 defendants to death on Monday, which lasted only two sessions.
Former Brotherhood Supreme Guide Mohamed Badie will stand trial along with 51 other defendants – including Khairat al-Shater, Essam el-Erian, Mohamed el-Beltagy and Mostafa Hegazy – on a list of charges related to the violent dispersal of the Rabaa al-Adaweya and Nahda square sit-ins.
The Cairo prosecution has charged them with directing events at Rabaa by forming what it calls an “operations room,” and from that position, “directing the terrorist Muslim Brotherhood to defy the government during the Rabaa sit-in dispersal and to spread chaos in the country,” according to a statement last month.
This trial addresses only the charges of “directing” violence during the dispersal. A separate trial entails the violent events themselves, where Badie and 682 others face a series of charges, including murder, destroying public property, and disturbing the peace in Minya following the dispersal. That trial, led by Said Youssef, the same judge who presided over the two-session trial that handed death sentences to 529, was postponed on Tuesday to April 28.
The dispersal of the sit-ins at Rabaa al-Adaweya and Nahda squares led to the death of between at least 632, according to a report by the governmental organization the National Council for Human Rights, and perhaps up to 1,000, according to Human Rights Watch.
Additional reporting by Ahmed Arafa and Ehab El-Shazly.