April 6 cancels anniversary march out of respect for Aswan dead
April 6 Protest - YOUM7/Mostafa Darwish
By THE CAIRO POST

CAIRO: The April 6 Youth Movement canceled its march in Downtown Cairo Sunday on its sixth anniversary, limiting its actions to a protest outside the Journalists Syndicate out of respect the victims of Aswan’s tribal conflict, the movement said on Twitter Sunday.

In an event the movement called “Release Egypt,” members of April 6 released pigeons outside the syndicate as a symbol for the hundreds of detained youth the group wants to see released, according to Youm7.

The movement did not notify the police of its protest because it does not recognize the 2013 protest law that requires demonstrators to seek prior approval for protests. The protest law “does not comply with the 2014 constitution,” Mohamed Kamal, a member of April 6’s media bureau, told Youm7.

April 6 did notify the National Council for Human Rights (NCHR) of its protest plans, Kamal said.

Abdel Ghaffar Shukr, deputy head of the NCHR, told Youm7 Sunday that the NCHR would task “highly qualified researchers with detecting any violations by April 6 or security forces during the protest.”

Shukr said the NCHR responded to April 6 by requesting them to notify the Ministry of Interior of their protest so as to avoid legal accountability.

April 6 organized a press conference at the Lawyer’s Syndicate earlier on Sunday. The conference started with a moment of silence to mourn members killed in protests over the three years since the January 25 Revolution, reported Youm7.

The movement vowed to continue their struggle for their demands that “began under the regime of Hosni Mubarak and continued under the Supreme Council of Armed Forces, Mohamed Morsi and the current authority,” according to Youm7.

April 6 founder Ahmed Maher and senior member Mohamed Adel have been detained since December on charges of inciting violence and breaching the protest law.

Amnesty International released a statement on April 4 calling for their release. An appeals court will issue a final verdict on the two activists’ three year prison sentence on Monday.

Additional reporting by Mostafa Abdel Tawab.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment