Bomb kills 17, wounds 50 in Islamabad market
A bomb tore through a bustling fruit and vegetable market in Islamabad - AFP

ISLAMABAD: A bomb tore through a bustling Islamabad market on Wednesday, killing at least 17 people, police and hospital officials said, the latest violence to hit government peace talks with the Taliban.

The blast took place around 8:00 a.m. (0300 GMT) at a wholesale fruit and vegetable market close to the capital’s twin city Rawalpindi, as hundreds of grocers and sellers gathered to trade.

It is the deadliest to hit the Pakistani capital since a huge truck bomb at the Marriott Hotel in 2008 and comes as the government tries to negotiate an end to the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan’s (TTP) campaign of violence.

Talks began between government and TTP intermediaries in February but continued attacks have led many to question the worth of the process.

“At least 17 people were killed and 50 others injured in the blast,” Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (PIMS) spokeswoman Ayesha Isani told AFP in Islamabad.

She said the condition of two patients was very critical.

“It was a bomb blast, heard over a big radius,” local police official Tehzeeb Hussain told AFP.

He said a bomb disposal team had reached the site and was collecting information.

The blast left a 1.5-metre (five-foot) diameter crater at the site, which was littered with body parts and guava fruits drenched in blood, an AFP reporter at the scene said.

‘Bodies flying everywhere’

Eyewitness Muhammad Tahir described the carnage as the bomb detonated.

“The blast took place around 8:00, when we were standing there — bodies were flying everywhere, bodies were flying at the height of 20 to 25 feet,” he told AFP

Ambulances were rushing in and out carrying wounded people and dead bodies.

Senior local administration official Nauman Yousuf told AFP “it was a planted bomb”.

A bomb disposal official told AFP on condition of anonymity that the device hidden in a fruit box weighed five to six kilograms (11 to 13 pounds) and was packed with nuts and bolts to cause maximum carnage.

Thousands have been killed in militant violence since the TTP rose up against the Pakistani state in 2007 but attacks on the capital, much of which is heavily guarded, have been rare in recent years.

Wednesday’s blast came a little over a month after a gun and suicide bomb attack on a court complex in Islamabad killed 11 people including a judge.

The government has freed more than 30 Taliban prisoners in the past week to try to spur talks with the militants and on Friday the TTP said they would extend a ceasefire begun on March 1.

On March 26 a four-member government committee held their first direct meeting with members of the TTP’s political council in North Waziristan tribal district.

There have been suggestions that high-profile figures held by the militants, including the son of former Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani, could be freed in return.

The peace talks were a key campaign pledge for Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif before he was elected to office for a third time last year.

But some analysts have voiced skepticism about their chances for success, given the Taliban’s demands for nationwide sharia law and a withdrawal of troops from the lawless tribal zones.

Regional deals struck in the past between the military and the Taliban have failed and some have accused the militants of using them as a means to regroup and rearm.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment