MB denies responsibility for terrorist attacks, claims media attack on group
Cairo University bombing - YOUM7/Hazem Abdel Samad
By NOURHAN MAGDI

CAIRO: The Muslim Brotherhood denied responsibility for the latest terrorist attacks witnessed in Egypt, and condemned the perpetrators, according to a release by the group published on the Freedom and Justice Party news website Wednesday.

The release said that the group is facing a constructed media and security attack, mounted by what it referred to as the ‘military coup’s authority in Egypt,’ in attempts to attach false accusations to the group.

The Brotherhood has consistently condemned the crackdown by the interim government against the group following the ouster of former President Mohamed Morsi on July 3, 2013. The group also announced that over 2,500 people died during the dispersal of the Rabaa al-Adaweya and Nahda Square sit-ins.

Other reports issued by other organizations, including the National Council for Human Rights and the Egyptian Center for Economic and Social Rights put the number at 632 and 904 deaths respectively.

In the same context, the Brotherhood explained in Wednesday’s release the peaceful approach of the group that “relies on reform, change and struggle against oppression and corruption,” as well as on condemning violence.

Further, the Secretary-General of the Brotherhood Mahmoud Hussein condemned the attempts to implicate the Brotherhood in the terrorist attacks, pointing to the group’s previous stance opposing violent attacks, such as those that occurred in Egypt during the nineties and the September 11 attacks in the U.S.

During the past few months, and specifically after the Brotherhood was designated as a terrorist group in December 25, a series of attacks on the army and the police were launched, most of which have been concentrated in North Sinai.

The latest attack took place the last week outside Cairo University, when three bombs exploded, leaving one dead and nine injured.

Hussein also referred to statements to the Le Monde newspaper in 1993 by the former President Hosni Mubarak about the group, when he referred to the Brotherhood as “an Islamic Movement in Egypt that prefers the political struggle rather than violence.”

Saudi Arabia has formally declared the Brotherhood a terrorist organization in March, and King Abdullah decreed jail terms of up to 20 years in February for anyone belonging to terrorist groups or fighting abroad.

Moreover, British Prime Minister David Cameron commissioned a review of the Brotherhood’s activities in the U.K. last week, after reports suggested that members of the group have moved to London to escape a crackdown in Cairo.

A report released by the European Council for Foreign Relations Tuesday considered the decision by the UK government to probe into the Brotherhood as a “major victory” for Saudi Arabia, which has stated that the Brotherhood’s brand of political Islam is the source of jihadist violence and extremism, and not Saudi Wahabism. The report also pointed that British officials said there had been months of Saudi pressure for such a decision.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment