A leading figure in Cairo affiliated with militant group Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis, Mohamed Bakry Haroun, was arrested by security forces on April 12.
Several political activists and human rights groups launched a campaign demanding the abolishment of the protest law and the release of all political detainees.
- Presidential candidate Abdel Fatah al-Sisi’s legal advisor: Sisi is preparing to present his candidacy registration papers.
- Calm restored in Aswan following a truce between the two battling tribes.
- Supreme Presidential Electoral Committee signs an agreement with the European Union in order to allow the union to monitor the presidential elections.
- Presidential candidate Hamdeen Sabbahi: We are not facing any problems in collecting citizens’ mandates.
- State of alert in the government to avoid power outages.
Interim Prime Minister Ibrahim Mahlab discussed with Libyan Ambassador in Cairo Mohammed Fayez Jibril security procedures to protect Egyptian citizens in Libya following kidnappings.
Minister of Education Mahmoud Abou el-Nasr said there are 35 million illiterate citizens in Egypt and the ministry with its current budget cannot solve that problem.
- Muslim Brotherhood university students protest to demand the release of their detained colleagues and to reject the allowing of security forces on campus.
- Borders Guard forces demolish 25 underground tunnels in Rafah.
- Minister of Interior Mohamed Ibrahim: Officers are to be trained to develop their fighting skills to guarantee their security efficiency.
Minister of Investment, Foreign Trade and Industry Mounir Fakhry Abdel Nour said the government is keen to activate the joint economical cooperation between Egypt and the U.S.
- Governmental corruption is the reason behind the return of fuel crisis.
- Presidential candidate Hamdeen Sabbahi: The elections results are not settled yet and I will withdraw if any fraud attempt exists.
- Armed Forces killed three Takfiri suspects and arrest four others in North Sinai.
- Christians celebrated Palm Day on Sunday amid intensified security from the Ministry of Interior.
An official governmental source revealed the government is to implement procedures for the supply system that costs more than 140 billion EGP per year.
Minister of Transport Ibrahim el-Demeiry said the Ministry of Defense determined the path for the monorail in the west desert to link Alexandria to Aswan.
- Sudanese Minister of Interior Abdel-Wahed Youssef: We will not accept any harm to Egypt or its water share in the Nile.
- Three suspects in the Aswan tribal conflict held for four days in custody.
- Minister of Housing Mostafa Madbouly: No water cuts during the summer.
- National Council for Women head Mervet al-Talawy demanded the elimination of marriages for minors and female genital mutilation.
Minister of Supply Khaled Hanafy said there is a plan to adopt a national project to restore Port Said as an international trade center, which would increase job opportunities.
- Cairo Metro company starts implementing a plan to increase its revenues.
- Ministry of Justice: Presidential candidates’ mandates officially surpassed 500,000.
- Cairo Governor: We will be neutral toward electoral advertising.