Min. of Social Solidarity allows NGOs to monitor elections
Minister of Social Solidarity Ghada Wali - YOUM7
By THE CAIRO POST

CAIRO: 111 out of 117 NGOs will have permission to monitor the elections, including five from Alexandria, following an announcement on Wednesday by the Ministry of Solidarity in an official report on April 15, according to Sada al-Balad

The six rejected organizations did not match all requirements of the ministry, according to the ministry’s official report published on Wednesday. The report included the percentages of trained NGOs for monitoring elections (55 percent) and the number of non-trained organizations (the remaining 45 percent).

Five NGOs from Alexandria were included in the report; these are Horeyaty Charity Organization, Ansar Hoqouq al-Insan, Montazah for Culture and Development, Al-Kashef for Developing Society and Al-Taleea al-Tanmeya w al-Derasat al-Qanouniya organization (Vanguard for Development and Legal Studies).

However, the Vanguard organization was previously banned prior to the January referendum on the constitution, after it was deemed to be affiliated with the Muslim Brotherhood, along with another five MB-affiliated NGOs, according to a judicial source at the Supreme Electoral Commission on Jan. 13, 2014 to Masrawy.com.

The Brotherhood was declared a terrorist organization by the government on Dec. 25, 2013. All activities of the group were banned, and the government was authorized to seize any of its assets.

The Vanguard group issued a demand to allow them to monitor the elections and the Minister of Social Solidarity gave direct orders to approve the demand.

The list issued by the Ministry of Solidarity is not final, as the Supreme Electoral Commission must first review and approve it.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment