Car bomb kills two, wounds one in Bahrain: ministry
AFP
AFP

DUBAI: Two people were killed Saturday when their explosive-laden car detonated in a Shiite village in Bahrain, the interior ministry said, although it was unclear whether the vehicle had been targeted by an attack.

A third person was wounded in the explosion and taken to hospital, the ministry said.

An uprising against the ruling Sunni dynasty in the Shiite majority kingdom began in 2011, and protesters still clash regularly with police.

“Two burned bodies and one injured person were found” in the “civilian” car that exploded in the Shiite village of Mughsha, the interior ministry said.

“Initial details indicate explosives (were) inside the” car, it added, but gave no further details on whether it had been targeted by an attack or whether the blast was accidental.

Witnesses said they heard a loud bang shortly before the car was gutted by flames, and that authorities have cordoned off the area.

Bahrain remains deeply divided three years after the Shiite-led uprising, with persistent protests sparking clashes with police, scores of Shiites jailed on “terror” charges and reconciliation talks deadlocked.

The International Federation for Human Rights says at least 89 people have been killed in Bahrain since February 2011.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment