Tourism ministry expects Germany to relax travel warnings
Minister of Tourism Hisham Zaazou - YOUM7/Hussein Tallal
By THE CAIRO POST

CAIRO: Mohamed Jamal, Egypt’s tourism advisor in Germany, said he expects the German Foreign Ministry to cancel all travel warnings to Egypt in May, particularly to Sharm el-Sheikh and South Sinai, Youm7 reported Sunday.

The ministries of tourism and foreign affairs have taken security measures to protect tourists since the sudden travel warning was issued by Germany, he said.

In March, Minister of Tourism Hisham Zaazou participated in the International Tourism Bourse in Berlin, which is considered the world’s largest such exhibition, with 180 countries participating.

Gamal said Zaazou discussed the 14 travel warnings issued by European countries advising their tourists not to visit Egypt after a recent bombing in Taba that killed 17 South Korean tourists and an Egyptian driver, Youm7 reported.

He added that Zaazou agreed to review the warnings and to send delegations to visit resorts in Egypt to assess the security situation and measures taken to secure the tourists.

Gamal stated that German tourists have decreased significantly, by 35 percent in the first four months in 2014, compared to the same period last year. Egypt has seen an increase in terrorist attacks in the Sinai since the July 3 ouster of Mohamed Morsi.

Zaazou also delegated his advisor Naser Abdel Aal to meet a delegation of Chinese tourist companies who visit Egypt to discuss increasing Chinese tourists, Al-Masry Al-Youm reported.

Abdel Aal said China is a promising market for Egypt, particularly after the increasing economic growth of Beijing, Al-Masry Al-Youm reported.

Additional reporting by Mervat Rashad.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment