CAIRO: Ahmed Nassar, head of the Fishermen’s Syndicate, confirmed on Monday that Yemeni authorities have refused to release 36 detained Egyptian fishermen, despite announcing that they would release them last week, Youm7 reported Monday.
”The lawyer of the detained fishermen expressed her fear regarding unexplained measures by the Yemeni authorities,” adding that the fishermen were threatened with further detention, Youm7 reported.
The Yemeni prosecution decided five days ago to release the 36 Egyptian fishermen from the Kafr el-Sheikh governorate after three months of detention in Yemen, Nassar told Al-Masry Al-Youm.
The detained fishermen were working on three fishing boats on official contracts with a Saudi-Eritrean-Yemeni company. The boats were fishing near the Eritrean coast for Saudi and Yemeni markets, Nassar said, before the fishermen were arrested and detained for three months.
The Yemeni prosecution had decided to release the fishermen following efforts from the Egyptian embassy in Yemen and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to release them, according to media reports.
Nassar demanded Egyptian authorities and interim President Adly Mansour interfere to take urgent action to release the detained fishermen, Akhbar El Youm reported.
Additional reporting by Mohammed Suleiman.