Gunmen abduct 15-year-old Egyptian girl in Libya
Photo courtesy of roayahnews
By HANAN FAYED

CAIRO: A 15-year-old Egyptian girl has been abducted by gunmen in Libya Saturday and Egypt’s Foreign Ministry formed an “operations room” to follow up on the matter.

MENA reported the abduction occured in Benghazi and quoted a security source as saying that the authorities are investigating to locate the kidnappers. The Egyptian Foreign Ministry said in a statement that it is coordinating with its Libyan counterpart and the concerned Egyptian and Libyan services to investigate the incident.

“What happens to Egyptians in Libya aims to create tension and destabilize Libya,” Libyan Ambassador to Cairo Mohamed Fayez Gebrel Mehwar Channel on April 13.

The abduction of Egyptians in Libya has been frequent, and militants often declare that the motive is the imprisonment of Libyan nationals in Egypt on charges of smuggling.

The entire staff of the Egyptian embassy in Libya returned to Egypt on Jan. 25 after five of them had been kidnapped then released by militants.

“The Libyan government is determined to overcome the difficult situation the country is going through,” Zidan said at a press conference in Cairo in a visit on Jan. 31.

“Libyan-Egyptian relations are fundamental and no one can cause detriment to them,” Zidan added.

On Feb. 24, seven Christian Egyptians were found shot dead on a beach in Benghazi, marked as one of the most brutal attacks against Egyptians in its western neighboring country.

The government has struggled with maintaining security since the ouster of Muammar Gadhafi, and the country has witnessed a number of assassinations of local security and military officials.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment