Badie after two mass trials: I will not recoil
Supreme Guide of the Muslim Brotherhood Mohamed Badei - YOUM7 (Archive)
By THE CAIRO POST

CAIRO: Imprisoned Supreme Guide of the Muslim Brotherhood Mohamed Badei commented on a death sentence issued against him and 682 other MB members on Monday, saying “if they sentenced me to death a thousand times, I will not recoil from the right path,” according to the official website of the Muslim Brotherhood.

Minya Criminal Court sentenced 683 Muslim Brotherhood members, including Badie, to death Monday, and referred the case to the Grand Mufti Shawqi Allam to consult on the death sentence, as per Egyptian law. The court also set June 2 to issue its final verdict after the Mufti’s consultation.

The cases are also eligible for appeal. However, the mufti’s judgment is consultative and the court has the freedom to neglect it. Moreover, when a defendant is being tried in absentia, they generally receive tougher sentences.

In a second mass trial, the Minya court also issued a final death sentence for 37 defendants, and sentenced 491 others to 25 years in prison Monday. The 528 were originally sentenced to death on charges of killing the deputy head of the Matai Police Station in Minya on Aug. 14, 2013, although 382 were tried in absentia.

The court fined the 28-member defense team of the 529 defendants 50 EGP each and referred them to disciplinary courts because they did not defend their clients during the first session, which had been scheduled for Saturday, Youm7 reported.

On Friday, lawyer of the defense team Ashraf Omran said that the lawyers would not attend the trial scheduled for Saturday.

Meanwhile, Ikhwanweb, the official website of the International Organization of the Muslim Brotherhood, said Monday that the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Right has asked Egypt to suspend the death penalties against the 529 defendants.

The website clarified that the commission’s request came after the Brotherhood’s political wing, the Freedom and Justice Party’s international team submitted a complaint to the commission.

The government designated the Muslim Brotherhood as a terrorist organization on Dec. 25, 2013, a day after a bombing targeted the Dakahlia Security Directorate leaving 15 death and 134 injured.

Following the dispersal of Rabaa al-Adaweya and Nahda Square sit-ins, MB supporters have staged numerous protests, often resulting in clashes with security forces and the local residents in several places nationwide.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment