Sabbahi, Sisi condemn Friday explosions in Cairo, Sinai
Moments After Cairo Explosion - YOUM7(Archive)
By MUHAMMAD GHAMRAWY

CAIRO: Egypt’s two presidential candidates, Hamdeen Sabahi and Field Marshal Abdel Fatah al-Sisi, condemned the “terrorist” blasts that took place in Heliopolis and Sinai Friday morning.

The Ministry of Health announced Friday that four people were killed and 12 were injured as a result of the three explosions in South Sinai and Cairo.

The ministry’s statement said the two explosions took place in el-Tor in South Sinai, leaving three dead and nine injured, meanwhile another explosion in front of a Heliopolis court caused the death of one and injured three.

“The terrorism hits the sons of the homeland and spreads the flames of violence and hatred,” Sabbahi’s presidential campaign said in a statement.

Meanwhile, Sisi’s campaign said the field marshal offers his sincerest condolences to the families of the “martyrs”.

Since the ouster of the President Mohamed Morsi on July 3, Egypt has witnessed an increase in explosions and armed attacks that usually target police and security personnel. The soldiers of Egypt and Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis groups have claimed responsibility for most of the attacks.

Last week, the Soldiers of Egypt claimed responsibility for detonating a police officer’s car front of his house in 6 October City, causing the death of the officer and the injury a conscript.

Political and Islamists parties also condemned the three explosions. The Salafist Nour Party deplored the series of explosions, saying in a statement that such bombings aim to halt the country’s progress and stability.

The Free Egyptians Party branded what happened as a “terrorist escalation backed by foreign sides”, adding that such actions will not stop the Egyptian people’s struggle to defend the June 30 revolution.

Security expert Abdel Rafea Darwesh told The Cairo Post that there is a link between the mounting terrorist operations and the imminent onset of the presidential elections scheduled for May 26 and 27.

However, he added that security forces suffer from a lack of training in dealing with such operations.

Ministry of Interior spokesperson Hany Abdel Lattif accused the Muslim Brotherhood of being involved in the operations, adding in a phone call to Mehwar TV on Friday that there is a full coordination between Al-Qaeda and the Muslim Brotherhoods in all “ terrorist” operations that have taken place since June 30.

Abdel Lattif said the Soldiers of Egypt, Ansra Bayt al-Maqdis and other terrorist groups are names used as a cover for the Brotherhood and Al-Qaeda’s operations.

The Brotherhood has consistently denied such accusations.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment