CAIRO: The second stage of Cairo’s third Metro Line project will be inaugurated May 5, Egyptian Company for Metro Management and Operations President Ali Fadaly said Saturday.
Fadaly told Youm7 that the operation team of this stage will be fully staffed from Saturday, and that 7 trains would be in operation on Monday.
Fadaly told Al Watan newspaper Saturday that “the inauguration will be attended by Egyptian interim president Adly Mansour, Prime Minister Ibrahim Mahlab, Minister of Transport Ibrahim el-Demeiry and a number of ministers and public figures.”
“As many as 1.5 million passengers are expected to use the third line every day,” Minister of Transport Ibrahim Demeiri told MENA on April 12.
The Cairo governorate coordinates the companies tasked with operating smart buses outfitted with wireless internet to shuttle passengers from Nasr City to the line’s four stations, which extends over an area of seven kilometers from Abbaseya to Al-Ahram Square station in Heliopolis, Fadaly said.
Head of National Authority for Tunnels Ismail al-Nagdy told Al-Tahrir newspaper “all global safety standards have been performed before the operation.”
The project had been completed six months before the due date, he added.
On Feb. 22, the Cabinet approved a proposal to name the newly-opened third line of the metro the “Revolution Line.”
The Sadat metro station near Tahrir Square has been closed since August 2013 following the dispersal of the pro-Muslim Brotherhood sit-ins at Rabaa al-Adaweya and Nahda Squares. Sadat is scheduled to open to accommodate transfers in mid-May.