Campaign calls for release of detained minors
Interior Minister Mohamed Ibrahim - YOUM7/Sami Waheeb
By THE CAIRO POST

CAIRO: The “Freedom for Brave Children” campaign called Friday for the release of minors  detained at Ataqa prison in Suez accused of committing violence last week.

“They are not neither terrorists nor thugs and do not pose any threat to the country; they are just children,” the campaign said on its Facebook page Friday.

The campaign said there are 22 children between 15 and 19 years old in one cell at Attaqa prison, and published their names.

A security source in Suez denied the accusation to Al-Shorouq newspaper Friday.

Sixteen Egyptian human rights organizations signed a joint statement in February protesting mass detentions of protestors following the third anniversary of the January 25 Revolution, as well as alleged cases of torture inside Egyptian prisons.

The statement cited multiple testimonies that alleged beatings, denial of medical care, and overcrowded cells.

The Ministry of Interior responded with a statement denying the existence of torture inside prisons.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment