CAIRO: The Cairo Criminal Court of Supreme State Security Sunday postponed the trial of 26 suspects in the “Nasr City terrorist cell” case to May 18 in order to continue hearing the defense team.
The defendants are accused of planning terrorist attacks against state institutions, establishing and managing a terrorist group, attempting to prevent state institutions from exercising their work and harming national unity and social peace.
The trial includes 18 suspects held in prison on remand and another eight suspects who are fugitives being tried in absentia. Security forces began investigating alleged members of the cell in October 2012, which resulted in the killing of one suspect.
Montassar al-Zayad, lawyer for defendant Ramy al-Malah, said there is “no evidence” that Malah is guilty, especially considering his client is a police officer.
In previous trial sessions, the court listened to eyewitness testimonies, including from a number of police officers, who said they couldn’t remember the incident because it happened over a year-and-a-half ago.
Another witness, Sayeda Zeinab Investigation Authority head Mohamed Sharqawi, confirmed what he previously said during the investigations, but added he does not remember more details.
One of the defendants said the police only found fireworks in his home and that the criminal lab confirmed these were not dangerous.
Additionally reporting by Mohamed Abdel Razeek