CAIRO: Amr Rabei, 21, a student whose name recently went viral across news and on social media, appeared May 17 in Abbasiya Prosecution, after a two months disappearance that had been reported by his family.
Sanaa Beheiry, Rabei’s mother, told The Cairo Post Sunday, “The lawyer told me that the officials said my son was abducted from his home on May 16; however I repeatedly reported that he was missing since he was apprehended by the police on March 11.”
“After we heard the news that another missing person called Mohamed Ramadan was referred to the prosecution, we went and found Rabei there,” added Beheiry.
Additionally, Beheiry said that she is heading Sunday to the Attorney General’s office to file another report proving that her son was in police custody since he disappeared two months ago, and was not captured from home two days ago, as claimed.
Amr Rabei’s name appeared on a list, released on May 12 by Supreme State Security Prosecution, of 200 suspected Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis members, some of them at large. The list was rejected by some of the families of the suspects, who told The Cairo Post that their relatives on the list are victims of forced disappearance and not terrorists as described in the “fabricated charges,” according to them.
On April 14, the Cairo Court for Urgent Matters designated the Sinai-based militant group Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis as a terrorist organization, obliging the Cabinet and the interim President Adly Mansour to uphold the decision.
Amid recent reports of missing people whom were seen detained by police forces in different situations, a military prison in Ismailia called Azouly was believed by the families to be hosting their sons and torturing them.
Beheiry told The Cairo Post on May 8 that she heard from some people that her son is at Azouly prison, adding that she believes that officials are delaying her son’s appearance “to conceal the signs of torture on his body.”
Most of the families of the disappeared have filed missing person reports with the Interior Ministry but have been given no information from officials about any charges or whether their relatives are in police custody, according to interviews conducted by The Cairo Post.