CAIRO:Security forces at Wadi el-Natroun Prison in Menoufia stormed prison cells and assaulted prisoners on Saturday after detainees announced plans to start a hunger strike in the coming days.
“The news was leaked by some of the prisoners inside,” SamiaJaheen, a member of the Freedom for the Brave movement supporting detainees and prisoners of conscience, told The Cairo Post.
On Saturday afternoon, the movement and other revolutionary and youth movements and activists published the news on social media networks, saying police attacked one of the prison dormitories, handcuffed prisoners, beat them and used tear gas on them.
It was reported earlier that a prison break attempt in Wadi el-Natroun was contained, but according to Menoufia’s chief of security, Said Tawfik, security forces restored order after some prisoners assaulted a policeman.
Dozens of prisoners affiliated with the Muslim Brotherhood, deemed a terrorist organization by the Egyptian government, chanted against the army and the police and incited chaos inside prison, but security forces regained control with no further damages, Tawfik told state news agency MENA Saturday.
It is unclear if the two incidents concern the same group of prisoners.
The Cairo Post has also learned a young man died in the prison’s hospital due to medical neglect, according to a friend of the deceased, who told lawyer MokhtarMounirhe was informed by an inside source.
Mounir, a lawyer at the Association of Freedom of Thought and Expression (AFTE), told The Cairo Post there were no further details as of Saturday evening.
The post that circulated on social websites stated that Mohamed Abdullah Ismail was detained on Oct. 6 along with 125 other detainees who were sentenced to three years in prison in April.
The appeal on the verdict is scheduled for June 4.
Jaheen said rights organizations and activists have called on the National Council for Human Rights to visit Wadi el-NatrounPrison immediately to determine the abusive situation facing prisoners there.