Bassem Youssef will be back on air after Eid al-Fitr
Bassem Youssef - YOUM7 (Archive)
By AYA IBRAHIM

CAIRO: Saudi-funded MBC network is negotiating with satirist Bassem Youssef, convincing him to host two programs after his controversial TV show El-Bernameg was cancelled, Saudi Elaph newspaper reported Saturday.

MBC is still in contact with Youssef and called for him to host other shows that may compensate for the cancellation of his wildly popular show El-Bernameg.

Youssef will be on air again after the Eid al-Fitr (End of Ramadan) vacation and within the new programatic map of MBC Masr channel scheduled to launch in September, according to Elaph newspaper.

The two new programs will keep the sarcastic and funny tone as the audiences are used to in Youssef’s shows but without the topic of politics, head of MBC Misr Satellite Channel Mohamed Abdel-Mutaal told Al-Badeel website Saturday.

Mutaal said the details on how Youssef will return on air will be announced after the end of negotiations within the next few days.

Youssef’s El-Barnamegshow  has openy criticized the Muslim Brotherhood, ousted President Mohamed Morsi, current President Abdel Fatah al-Sisi, and Interim President Adly Mansour, leaving no political figure umocked.

El-Bernameg was cancelled, satirist Bassem Youssef had announced on June 2 at a press conference held at the theater where it was produced and broadcast by MBC Masr.

Youssef had previously announced on May 22 that his program would air again on May 30 after its mandatory suspension during the presidential election and campaign period. But it was not long before he announced on his Twitter account on May 27 that the program would not be aired on time and that he would announce details later.

It was the end for El-Bernameg, Youssef announced and that it would not only not return to MBC but also would not be aired on any Arabic channels or European channels.

“We are fed up with moving from one channel to the other,” Youssef said. “We received a lot of offers for the program to be hosted on European channels but this would be misunderstood and viewed as treason.”

El-Bernameg was originally broadcast on CBC until 2013 before being aired on MBC in February 2014. Bassem Youssef had started as a YouTube series in 2011 around the same as January 25 Revolution was taking place. It then was produced onto ONTV then CBC. Youssef said the program was under pressure at the beginning of its run on MBC but he said he appreciated the channel’s efforts in helping in the conintuation of the program.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment