Ahmed Doma Institut d’Égypte trial adjourned to June 23
Ahmed Doma during sunday trial - YOUM7/Ahmed Maarouf
By HANAN FAYED

CAIRO: Cairo Criminal Court adjourned Sunday the case of activist Ahmed Doma and 269 others on charges of assaulting police and military personnel and setting the Institut d’Égypte on fire in December 2011, Youm7 reported.

The next session is scheduled for June 23 in order to unseal the exhibits in the case.

Sunday, a prosecution witness said he saw a group of boys throwing Molotov cocktails at the Institut d’Égypte, resulting in the loss of hundreds of valuable and old books.

Doma was interviewed on two television channels after the incident and provided statements that were perceived as an admission of setting the fire. He said security personnel were throwing rocks at protesters from the rooftops of the Institut d’Égypte and the nearby Parliament building.

Wael al-Ibrashi, one of the television anchors who interviewed Doma, said in a previous court session that there had been assaults from both parties, that Doma was a “pure revolutionary” and that he paid the price for his actions during the regimes of former Presidents Mohamed Morsi and Hosni Mubarak.

Ibrashi said the incidents erupted after a police officer assaulted one of the protesters inside the Parliament, and that what happened was a response from the protesters for the assault.

Doma is already serving a three-year sentence for orchestrating an illegal protest and assaulting police officers outside Cairo’s Abdeen Court in November. April 6 Youth Movement leaders Ahmed Maher and Mohamed Adel are jailed in the same case, and their verdict is final.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment