Interior Ministry mulls bike lanes
Sisi leads 20-kilometer bike marathon Friday dawn – Photo courtesy of Presidential Office
By SARA OSAMA SHOUREAP

CAIRO: The Ministry of Interior is studying the feasibility of creating bike lanes after President Abdel Fatah al-Sisi called for increased bike commuting in a Friday bike marathon, MBC Masr channel reported.

Sisi said in a speech ahead of the marathon that the distance of 20 kilometers is the average people travel to go to university or work, and that riding a bicycle for an hour or 90 minutes instead of driving or taking public transportation would save money.

“We will start implementing Sisi’s initiative in new cities, especially Cairo and Giza, as we have large pavements where we can incorporate bike lanes and signals,” the head of the General Directorate for Traffic Medhat Koretam told MBC Masr Sunday.

Koretam said that those who died in 2013 due to road accidents in 2013 reached 6,700, and 22,397 were injured, adding that the General Directorate for Traffic seeks to decrease this number by applying traffic regulations.

An estimated 12,000 Egyptians die every year in automobile accidents, according to a 2012 report by the World Health Organization.

“80 percent of the accidents are due to human error and the other 20 percent are due to the roads and the vehicle,” Samy Mokhtar, the head of the Egyptian Association for the Care of Victims of Roads, told The Cairo Post in May.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment