CAIRO: The Interior Ministry will establishing a new department to combat crimes of sexual violence and harassment inside all security directorates across Egypt, Assistant Interior Minister for Human Rights Abu Bakr Abdel-Karim said Tuesday.
In a phone interview on Mehwar TV channel, Abdel-Karim said, “police officers working in this department will be deployed in all crowded places across Egypt where harassment is most likely to take place.”
Security forces will attempt to arrest harassers, Karim added, stressing that all expedited procedures will have to be taken to eliminate such crimes.
He stated that “in case the harasser is not caught in the act, then eye-witnesses and other sources will be taken into consideration.”
Public Prosecutor Hisham Barakat ordered Saturday the referral of 13 suspects accused of indecent assault of six women in Tahrir Square last week to criminal court, according to Al-Masry Al-Youm.
During President Abdel Fatah al-Sisi’s inauguration on June 9, at least four women were sexually assaulted during the celebrations in Tahrir Square. Seven people were arrested, ranging from age 15 to 49.
A video of one woman being sexually harassed and forcibly stripped in Tahrir Square went viral. The victim Ikram, 43, was attending a public celebration of Sisi’s inauguration with her daughter.
Around 200 participated at a protest in Cairo’s upscale district Zamalek on Saturday, condemning sexual harassment and calling authorities to take action against such crimes.
Two men were arrested during the anti-sexual harassment protest for verbally harassing female protesters Saturday and two protesters were arrested for holding banners that claim the police harass women.