Security forces arrested members of an alleged spying network headed by a Sinai native who allegedly used youths to collect information about the situation in Egypt and passed the information to the Israeli Mossad intelligence service.
- The Ministry of Housing made settlements worth 1.5 billion EGP ($209.6 million) with major investors.
- New parties and youth coalitions have decided to run in parliamentary elections.
- The Ministry of Agriculture put aside 1 million acres for reclamation in Upper Egypt.
Amr Mousa withdrew from a meeting of the International Forum for Peace in Paris in what he said was a rejection to the meeting becoming politicized and allowing Israeli participants to discuss subjects irrelevant of the meeting’s topic.
- Two fires were extinguished in two petrol and supply warehouses in Helwan and Basateen.
- Minister of Housing: We managed to regain 2 billion EGP of the State’s receivables.
- Daylight savings time ended temporarily as of midnight on Thursday.
Minister of Finance Hani Kadry said the new fiscal year’s budget will allocate 55 percent of its channels for social-oriented programs. He said that education and health allocations will increase by 22 billion EGP.
- President Abdel Fatah al-Sisi welcomed Saudi Arabian King Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz upon his arrival to Egypt for a state visit.
- Anti-harassment police will wear a special uniform.
- A 55 million EGP building will have room allocated for street vendors.
Minister of Manpower Nahed Hasan Ashry met with 600 workers from Zad supermarkets, which are owned by Muslim Brotherhood leader Khairat el-Shater, and were closed temporarily following a government crackdown. She said in the meeting that no worker will be harmed and their financial rights are guaranteed along with work opportunities after a decision was made to place Zad under the Egyptian Company for Wholesale Trade’s supervision.
- The Ministries of Electricity, Housing, Health and Supply will start working at 7 a.m.
- The Ministry of Supply has called for a 20 percent increase in gas cylinders and flour to prepare for Ramadan.
A source in the Ministry of Investment said the government may postpone an expected international donors’ conference until the end of 2014 in order to prepare a clear economic program to encourage foreign investors.
- Parts of the Wadi Gedid governorate will be reorganized into the Asyut, Sohag, Qena and Aswan governorates according to sources from the Ministry of Housing.
- Nassar Abdallah, a Sohag University philosophy professor, received a wave of criticism after calling for the execution of street children.