CAIRO: Attorney General Hisham Barakat appealed Sunday the Minya Criminal Court mass death sentence issued Saturday against 183 defendants—including Muslim Brotherhood Supreme Guide Mohamed Badie—after reviewing the opinion of Grand Mufti Shawqi Allam in the cases of 683 defendants sentenced in the trial.
Acquittals were given to 496 defendants and four were given life sentences. The Beni Suef Appeals Court previously scheduled July 12 to deliberate the suspects’ defense to change the panel of judges assigned to the case. The defendants’ lawyer Mohamed Toson told Youm7 Saturday the defense team will appeal against the death sentences before they can be carried out.
Judges Union head Ahmed el-Zend said in a press conference that 608 of the defendants were tried in absentia. It is custom in Egyptian law that fugitives are handed the maximum penalty until they appear in court, in which case they are retried.
The defendants also include Mamdouh Ammar, director of the MB’s administrative office and former undersecretary of the Ministry of Education, former MP Mohamed Marzouq, former head of the Teachers Syndicate Shabaan Omar, secretary of the Freedom and Justice Party (FJP) in Edwa Mohamed Hassan and FJP Party Secretary Sobhi Habib.