Samy Anan to form a new electoral coalition
Sami Anan - YOUM7 (Archive)
By THE CAIRO POST

CAIRO: Retired Lieutenant General Samy Anan held a meeting Sunday with a number of political parties and representatives from several political currents to discuss forming a new coalition, several media outlets reported.

Sources told al-Bald Sunday that during the meeting they agreed on forming a coalition including 75 percent individuals, national figures, political movements, profession syndicates, the civil society organizations, with party representatives filling the remaining 25 percent.

The electoral coalition will be under the supervision of Arabism Egypt Party formed by Anan, the source said, adding that Anan said he did not plan to run in the forthcoming parliamentary elections.

One of the coalition founders Mahmoud Nafady told al-Masry al-Youm Sunday that the coalition is a “popular one rather than a partisan one” and seeks to gather most of the forthcoming parliamentary seats.

Nafady said that the disputes between Amr Moussa, al-Sayed al-Badawy, the head of al-Wafd party, Ahmed Gamal al-Deen the former Minister of Interior, Mourad Muwafi former Chief of Intelligence had led to the failure of forming a strong civil coalition.

On Feb. 17, Anan declared his intention to run in the past presidential elections in a press statement but on March 13, he announced he was withdrawing from the race.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment