CAIRO: Minister of Defense Sedky Sobhy ordered Friday 500 tons of supplies and medicine sent to Gaza, a ministry statement announced.
Vans were seen near the border transporting Egyptian supplies toward Gaza, Youm7 reported Friday.
Increased attacks on Gaza began in early July following the discovery of the bodies of three Israeli teenagers, followed by the death of 16-year-old Palestinian Mohamed Abo Khodeir, in what is widely assumed to be a revenge killing.
AFP reported Friday that bombings have so far killed 100 Palestinians. Many political figures and governments have condemned the violence as well as called for a cease-fire.
Israel blames Hamas for starting the clashes, Avichay Adraee, Israeli military spokesperson stated on his Facebook page Wednesday.
Egypt opened the Rafah crossing Thursday morning to allow those injured to receive treatment in Sinai hospitals. The border opening lasted 12 hours, and is scheduled to open again Saturday morning.
Mohamed Abbas, the head of the Arabian Doctors Union said in statement Friday that the Egyptian authorities will allow them to pass the first medical relief convoy to Palestinian through Rafah crossing Saturday morning, with more than 5 vans of supplies and medicine.
The UAE announced Friday it would donate $52 million in aid for Palestinians. Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan said in a statement, “this comes to show the support of his country to the strong Palestinians who are standing until now in front of Israeli military strikes.”
Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry talked to his French counterpart Laurent Fabius Friday in a phone call about the Palestinian crisis, and asked him to urge the European Union to call for the end of Israeli action, Youm7 reported.