Russian tourist drops Sinai rape case
South Sinai Governor Khaled Foda - YOUM7 (Archive)
By THE CAIRO POST

CAIRO: A Russian tourist who reported Saturday that she had been raped by a mini-bus driver in Sinai has dropped her case without declaring reasons, Al-Watan reported.

South Sinai Governor Khaled Foda said the state would not give up on applying the law, assuring “that anyone will try to manipulate or flout the reputation of the state would be punished.”

AFP reported Saturday that the driver told the alleged victim and her husband the bus had broken down, and tricked the husband to get off the bus before speeding away.

A British tourist reported being raped in a Sharm al-Sheikh hotel in early 2014, drawing the attention and reaction of the tourism ministry to ensure safety measures in hotels.

The video of a woman being brutally attacked and stripped in Tahrir Square during inaugural celebrations of President Abdel Fatah al-Sisi‘s went viral in early June, and prompted a visit by Sisi to the victim in the hospital; he said he would do all he could to prevent such a crime from occurring again.

New amendments were adopted into Egyptian penal code by former president Adly Mansour in the last weeks of his tenure, penalizing verbal harassment with either fines or prison terms.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment