Government to pay compensation to Arish attack victims: North Sinai Governor
North Sinai Governor Abdel-Fattah Harhour - YOUM7 (Archive)
By AYA IBRAHIM

CAIRO: North Sinai Governor Abdel-Fattah Harhour decided to pay 10,000 EGP in compensation to each deceased victim of the two terrorist attacks that targeted security areas in Egypt’s Sinai region of Arish late on Sunday, Youm7 reported.

One security officer and seven civilians were killed in two successive explosions around security areas in Egypt’s Sinai region, near the border with Israel, the Interior Ministry said in a Sunday statement.

The family of each wounded victim will receive 5,000 pounds, Harhour said.

Hundreds of Egyptians, who were chanting slogans against Takfiri terrorists, participated Sunday morning in the funeral of all the victims who were killed by mortar shells that targeted a military camp in northern Sinai and a marketplace in Arish.

Military spokesman Mohamed Samir said in a Monday statement that the camp attack left one conscript dead and three wounded and the mortar shell fell on Al-Dahaya marketplace in Arish, killing seven civilians and wounding 25. A Twitter account associated with a militant group claimed responsibility for the attacks, Youm7 reported Monday.

The families of the victims called on the government to impose harsh penalties on the perpetrators of these two attacks, chanting “God will take care of me”, Youm7 reported.

President Abdel Fatah al-Sisi had previously promised to fight terrorism and restore stability to the Arab world’s most populous state.

Since the January 25 Revolution, North Sinai has seen a rise in militant attacks, and following the military ouster of Mohamed Morsi on July 3 after mass protests called for the end of his regime on June 30, groups such as Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis have launched attacks against military and police forces, killing dozens including civilian passersby.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment