CAIRO: Freight truck traffic between Egypt and Libya will be halted indefinitely starting July 18 according to Matrouh Security Director Gen. El-Anany Hamouda in comments published by Al-Wafd Tuesday.
Customs security authorities notified Sallum border crossing that no Egyptian trucks are allowed to go to Libya and no Libyan trucks are allowed into Egypt and the Matrouh Security Directorate coordinated with the General Traffic Authority to notify drivers heading to Libya of the change, Hamouda said.
The Cairo Post tried to contact the Libyan embassy to verify the news, but they refused to comment.
Al-Tahrir previously reported on June 14 that Libyan authorities already notified Egypt they would prevent the exit and entrance of trucks into and out of Libyan territory due to the state of unrest in the country.
Regular flights between Cairo International Airport and Libyan destinations Tripoli and Benghazi have also been halted since May 17, 2014 due to deteriorating security conditions around the Libyan capital, an aviation source who refused to mention his name told Al Jazeera Mubasher Misr Sunday.
Egypt-Libya relations have been historically tense—even breaking out into a short border war in 1977—and the fallout and chaos following the ouster of longtime Libyan autocrat Muammar Gadhafi in 2011 has only raised tensions. Many Egyptian nationals living and working in Libya have been targeted, taken hostage or killed by armed groups, including seven Copts killed by Islamists outside Benghazi in February 2014.