CAIRO: French Foreign Affairs Minister Laurent Fabius said in a statement Friday that Paris supported the Egyptian initiative for a ceasefire between Hamas and Israel which Hamas previously refused, Youm7 reported.
Fabius added during a press conference held with his Egyptian counterpart Sameh Shoukry that the initiative aims to return stability to the region and he will try to make additional phone calls to achieve peace between the two parties.
The Egyptian initiative faced different international reactions, as it was accepted by the Israelis, but refused by Hamas, who described it as “kneeling and submissive.”
This is not the first time Egypt has attempted to broker peace between the two warring factions. Former President Mohamed Morsi sought a 2012 ceasefire through another initiative during an earlier period of Israel-Gaza violence.
Al-Masry Al-Youm made a comparison Friday between both initiatives, but said there wasn’t a huge differences between the two, as both consisted of four points as principals and three others describing the mechanism of applying methods.
Current President Abdel Fatah al-Sisi’s initiative set a specific date for the truce to start and Morsi’s did not, but both of them issued the same demands.