CAIRO: Ten injured Palestinians by the Israeli offensive on Gaza were admitted to Egyptian hospitals to complete their treatment after the Egyptian government decided to open the Rafah border crossing temporarily to grant them entry, an official source at the Rafah Crossing told Youm7 Wednesday.
Another eight injured Algerians arrived at Cairo airport to travel back to their homeland, the source said.
Egyptian authorities temporarily opened the border crossing Tuesday to let more injured Palestinians and stranded Egyptians cross, Al Tahrir newspaper reported Monday.
According to the Palestinian Ministry of Health, about 682 Palestinians were so far killed and 4,250 were injured as a result of the Israeli offensive on Gaza, which Israel claimed was initially launched against the Palestinian militant group Hamas.
Health Minister Adel Adawi said in Wednesday statement that a total of 52 injured Palestinians crossed into Egypt for treatment since the shelling began.
Eight of them were already released from hospitals, 43 remain under treatment and one died of severe wounds, Adawy said. They are being treated at different hospitals in Cairo, Ismailia, and North Sinai’s Arish.
Since the beginning of the Protective Edge on July 8, Egypt only allowed injured people, Egyptians, and those with foreign passports into its territory through the Rafah Border Crossing, which has mostly been closed since the ousting of former President Mohamed Morsi in July 2013.
An informed source told Al Masry al Youm Monday that Israel is obliged to open all Gaza crossings, according to the the Fourth Geneva Convention which describes Israel as an “Occupying Power” that has responsibilities to ensure the arrival of materials and commodities to Gaza residents. He also criticized Israel for alleged violations of the Fourth Geneva Convention in its treatment of Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza Strip.
Additional Reporting by Mohamed Hussein