CAIRO: Statements made by media personality Ibrahim Eissa during the past week, have been criticized by many, accusing him of insulting religion.
Last week, Eissa said in an ONTV program that “there is no such thing as ‘torment of the grave’ in the Islamic religion, it is a made up notion that is meant to scare people,”
His statement has raised a great deal of controversy among social media users. Some saw that many Islamic intellects have approved such statements while others including Muhammad Metwally Al Shaarawy had disapproved.
“Changing the fundamentals of faith … and denying what has settled in the conscience of the nation such as the torment of the grave aid extremism and terrorism, especially in light of the circumstances overshadowing the nation,” Minister of Endowment Mohamed Mokhtar said in a Thursday statement.
Mokhtar called on people not to interfere in religious matters if they are not specialized in religion, asserting that in religious cases, people must resort to religious intellects only.
Imam al-Azhar Ahmed al-Tayeb assigned a committee to collect all videos of Ibrahim Eissa in which he denied the existence of the “torment of the grave,” in addition to videos where he said that there are harassment incidents in al-Madina al-Monawara, Youm7 reported.
The videos will be presented to the Islamic Research Complex to take legal procedures towards each if he is proven guilty.
After social media users criticized Eissa for his statements, several social media users circulated videos of one of the most prominent late Egyptian Muslim jurists Muhammad Metwally Al Shaarawy asserting that the “torment of the grave” does not exist in Islam.
Last November, three lawyers filed a lawsuit against Ibrahim Eissa, accusing him of defaming religions and mocking the Quran.
The Administrative Court of the State Council issued a verdict dismissing the lawsuit against Ibrahim Eissa saying that the judges saw that the accusations are false, adding that Eissa merely talked about politicians in a sarcastic way.