Palestinian negotiation delegation arrives Saturday evening
Azzam al-Ahmad Member of Fatah's Central Committee - YOUM7 (Archive)

CAIRO: A Palestinian delegation headed to Cairo to discuss a ceasefire will arrive Saturday evening, not Saturday morning as earlier scheduled, delegation head Azam al-Ahmed, a member of Fatah’s Central Committee, told The Cairo Post Saturday by phone from the West Bank.

The 12-member delegation represents all Palestinian factions of Fatah and Hamas to discuss the means of reaching a ceasefire agreement between Israel and Palestine to put an end to the ongoing conflict.

Ahmed refused to comment on anything possibly related to the talks before arriving in Cairo. The Palestinian News and Info Agency (WAFA) reported Friday that the delegation will arrive Saturday morning.

The talks will not be conducted directly with the Israeli side, and the United Nation will be responsible for applying the agreement terms once they are approved by both sides, Ahmed told al-Arabyia net Friday evening.

According to a statement issued from the office of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, the delegation includes the president, Ahmad, head of the General Intelligence of Fatah Majed Faraj, Musa Abu Marzouk and Khalil al-Hayya who represent Hamas and Ziad Nukhala and Khaled al-Batsh from the Islamic Jihad.

1,600 Palestinians have been killed and 8,750 injured, according to the latest figures issued from the Palestinian Ministry of Health. Meanwhile, the Israeli Army spokesperson announced Friday that the death toll of the Israeli soldiers reached 61 since the beginning of Operation Protective Edge.

The negotiation was scheduled to be conducted Friday but was delayed due to the breakdown of a 72-hour truce between Hamas and Israel. The truce was broken two hours after its start; both sides blamiled each other for breaching it.

The latest Israeli raids on Gaza began July 1, a day after Israel found the bodies of three kidnapped settlers in the West Bank. The body of Palestinian Mohamed Abo Khodeir, 16, was found mutilated and burned, in what is widely seen as a revenge killing for the death of the Israelis.

Hamas started launching rockets into Israel in its latest campaign on July 4, Jerusalem Post reported.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment