CAIRO: Prime Minister Ibrahim Mahlab said in statements Saturday that the government is “doing the best it can to ensure the rapid return of Egyptians from Libya” without having to pay fees for flight tickets, Youm7 reported.
He added that the airlift between Egypt and Tunisia is continuing among extensive coordination with the Tunisian side and Egyptian presence on the Tunisian-Libyan borders.
Mahlab said, according to Youm7, that Tunisia has been very collaborative with Egypt concerning opening its borders exceptionally for Egyptians to pass through, in addition to exempting them from visa fees and finishing the required procedures quickly.
Egyptian ambassador to Libya Mohamed Abu Bakr traveled to the Tunisian border Saturday as a response for the call by Egyptian Minister of Foreign Affairs Sameh Shoukry to provide the required safety levels for Egyptians following the clashes erupting in Tripoli, according to Youm7.
Four planes participating in the airlift between Egypt and Tunisia have arrived in the airport during the past hours, carrying about 1,200 Egyptians as the fifth one is expected to reach Egypt Saturday evening.
Earlier, 72 Egyptians along with 76 Libyans have arrived into Egypt by Libyan flights, taking off from Mitiga International Airport, which remains the only working airport in Libya so far, Veto reported.
Benghazi and Misurata airports have been closed since the beginning of the clashes between rival militants in Libya. Mitiga International Airport was normally used as a military base and an occasional private airport.