Mubarak trial over killing of protesters adjourned to Aug. 4
former President Hosni Mubarak and his two sons Gamal and Alaa During the trial - YOUM7 (Archive)
By AYA IBRAHIM

CAIRO: The Cairo Criminal Court Saturday, headed by Judge Mahmoud Kamel al-Rashidi, adjourned the trial of former President Hosni Mubarak, his two sons Gamal and Alaa, former Minister of Interior Habib al-Adly and six of his aides to Aug. 4.

The session, which aired on CBC TV channel Sunday, was adjourned to resume hearing the prosecution’s witnesses.

Mubarak attended Sunday’s session lying in a hospital stretcher claiming signs of fatigue and exhaustion, Youm7 reported. The aircraft carrying Mubarak to trial arrived early this morning at the Police Academy where the court is holding session.

During the trial, Mubarak was allowed to leave early citing illness. Rashidi said that he will return to resume the trial after receiving medical treatment.

Farid al-Deeb, Mubarak’s lawyer, said, “There was no evidence that any of the defendants, including Mubarak, Adly and his aides killed protesters.” Deeb further asserted that Mubarak has previously denied all the accusations against him, saying that he gave orders to deal with protesters without violence, peacefully, without the use of weapons or bullets, and didn’t even allow the carrying of weapons during the protests.

According to Deeb, on Jan. 28, 2011, the police withdrew from Egypt’s streets and all jails were broken into as Central Security officers were not carrying any firearms in accordance with Mubarak’s directives. Deeb added that many of the accusations against the Mubaraks have been proven false by the court, including a lawsuit against Gamal Mubarak, which accused him of using his position on the Central Bank of Egypt’s (CBE) board to withdraw 75 tons of Egyptian gold.

Deeb also quoted former Interior Minister Mansour el-Issawy as saying that the security state in Egypt in the winter of 2011 was out of control because of the escape of 23,710 prisoners from jails during the 2011 January 25 Revolution and, the main reason for the death of protestors was the ensuing chaos.

“Those who stormed Egypt’s jails were the main reason behind spreading chaos and riots and vandalism in the country during the 2011 Revolution,” Deeb said.

Deeb also quoted Omar Suleiman, Egypt’s former intelligence chief, as saying that the demonstrations were peaceful until Jan. 28, 2011, when Egypt’s intelligence service was informed that Hamas and the Muslim Brotherhood were planning to participate in the revolution.

“Mubarak has suffered from injustice for three years,” said Deeb, as quoted by Youm7. “Egypt has been exposed to a major plot at the international and domestic levels since the 2011 January 25 Revolution.”

The Mubaraks and accused business tycoon Hussein Salem also face charges in separate trials of being involved in financial corruption, misusing presidential power for personal gains and exporting natural gas to Israel at below market prices.

The defendants first appeared in court in August 2011, and were sentenced to life in prison in January 2012. Defense lawyers appealed the sentence, and in January 2013 the Court of Cassation accepted the appeal and ordered the case back to the Cairo Criminal Court for a retrial that began in May 2013.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment