Egyptians escaping from Libya will be evacuated in two days: FM
Egyptians Cross From Libya To Egypt Through Sallum Border Crossing - AFP
By THE CAIRO POST

CAIRO: Minister of Foreign Affairs Sameh Shoukry said Tuesday that all Egyptians stuck on the Libyan-Tunisian borders will be evacuated in a maximum duration of two days and flights will be increased to transport the biggest possible number of Egyptians, Youm7 reported.

The Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs is coordinating with Libyan and Tunisian authorities to facilitate the transportation of Egyptians, Shoukry said in a press conference Tuesday in Cairo International Airport.

He added that communications are being made with the heads of tribes on the borders to protect Egyptians while crossing the border into Tunisia.

Shoukry said that the government will not leave a single Egyptian citizen stuck on the Tunisian-Libyan borders. He thanked the Libyan and Tunisian governments for the facilities they offered for Egyptians as well as the Tunisian Red Crescent for providing all food products and humanitarian aid for Egyptians.

Cairo Airport welcomed 260 Egyptians escaping from Libya and coming from the Tunisian airport of Djerba Tuesday as flights continue to transport Egyptians escaping from the deteriorating security situation in Libya, DPA reported.

Minister of Civil Aviation Hossam Kamal said Tuesday that the number of Egyptians who came back to Egypt over the last week is 3091.

Returning Egyptians praised the efforts exerted by the Egyptian government to return them. They said that they were transported to Cairo free of charge.

Tunisian security confronted an attempt by Egyptians to break into the Ras Jedir border crossing. The crossing witnessed chaos due to the rushing of thousands of Libyans and non-Libyans into it and Libyan militias shooting fire in the direction of the Tunisian side of the crossing, according to Tunisian news website Tunivisions.

Libyan sources said that four Egyptian workers were killed near the Ras Jedir crossing while trying to enter the Tunisian land escaping from clashes in Libya. Two of them died due to jostling while the other two were killed by bullets from Libyan militias

Shoukry said Monday that 5,000 to 10,000 Egyptians ran away from clashes in Libya and are still stuck in the Libyan-Tunisian border area, AP reported.

Spokesperson of Ministry of Foreign Affairs Badr Abdel Atty said that the ministry coordinated with Ministry of Civil Aviation to send nine flights from Egypt Air Tuesday and Wednesday to bring back about 2,300 citizens from the border area, according to the official Facebook page of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Additional reporting by Mohamed Tantawi.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment