Doma trial in Cabinet incidents adjourned to August 20
Ahmed Doma during his trial - YOUM7/Ahmed Maarouf
By THE CAIRO POST

CAIRO: The Cairo Criminal Court decided Wednesday to postpone the trial of Ahmed Doma and 269 others on charges related to Cabinet clashes in 2011, until August 20, in order to continue listening to the prosecution witnesses’ testimonials, Youm7 reported Monday.

Once the hearing started, Domademanded to leave the session, as he rejected to attend while standing inside a glass dock.Doma said that he did not hear the video; one of the exhibits, which was screened during the hearing.

The court presented the exhibits of the case, butDoma’s lawyer said that they do not relate to the case. The lawyer also noted that the pictures are of anonymous sources that do not identify the place they were taken at.

One of the exhibits was a video of an episode of Al-AsheraMasaan talk show, where Domaappeared saying that he threw Molotov Cocktails, according to Youm7.

Doma responded to the video saying that the video relates to Mohamed Mahmoud incidents and not the Cabinet incidents, which are the subject of Doma’s case. While his defense said that the video is “fabricated” and demanded the formation of a tripartite committee from the cinema industry room and editing department at the Faculty of Mass Communication to examine the videos and prepare a report.

In another video, the judge asked Doma and the other defendants if they know a certain woman who appeared in the video, but Doma denied knowing her.

The 269 defendants are accused of attacking the Cabinet building and burning the Scientific Institute in Cairo in December 2011, after security forces tried to disperse the sit-in in protest against the appointment of Kamal Al-Ganzory as a prime minister.

The clashes continued for 8 days, during which Sheikh EmadEffat, a senior Egyptian Sunni Islamic cleric at al-Azhar Mosque was killed.

Doma was previously sentenced to 3 years in prison and fined 50,000 ($6,990) alongside Ahmed Maher, co-founder of the 6 April Youth Movement, and Mohamed Adel, co-founder and member of 6 April’s political bureau December 2013 after they were found guilty of assaulting security forces in front of the Abdeen Court and damaging private and public facilities, as they demonstrated against the protest law, which prohibits any public assembly without prior approval of security forces.

Additional reporting by Ahmed Ismail

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment