Minister of Local Development Adel Labib announced three new governorates – Central Sinai, Al-Alamein, and Al-Wahat – will be added to Egypt’s map during a press conference. Ten governorate borders will be redrawn and new areas will be added to seven governorates and will minimize the space of three others.
- Cairo Criminal Court stated announced verdict of acquitting former Minister of Interior Habib al-Adly of not using his power to threaten members of Al-Nakheel Association Board of Directors.
- Former Minister of Trade and Industry Rashid Mohamed Rashid and his daughter were sentenced to 15 years in prison over charges of corruption and graft
A military source said Wednesday the videos which broadcast this week by Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis were old. The video of the execution of four soldiers happened back in June and the other video of killing a border guard soldier happened in May. He also said the “terrorist” groups started a media war against the Egyptian Army.
- Wafd Party decided to run for the upcoming parliamentary elections as part of the Egyptian Wafd Alliance without merging with any other alliances
- Algeria will open its borders Saturday for about 100 stranded Egyptians in Ghadamis city in Libya for a day
- Egypt expressed its deep regret over breaking the truce in Gaza
Cairo State Security Court sentenced Wednesday Jordanian Bashar Abu-Zaid to ten years and an Israeli Mossad officer to life in prison over charges of espionage. The defendants were tried for tapping international Egyptian calls for the Israeli intelligence services. The court, headed by Judge Adly Fadel, said it is not permissible to appeal against the verdict because it was issued by state security court.
- Egyptian army forces arrested five wanted Muslim Brotherhood criminal members in Abu Simbel city on their way to Sudan
- Cairo Criminal Court adjourned the trial of 269 defendants, including activist Ahmed Doma, to Sept. 3 to continue examining evidence
Former and last secretary general of the dissolved National Democratic Party (NDP) Mohamed Amin said the regime falsified the parliamentary elections in 2010; former Minister of Interior and former head of State Security controlled the selection of candidates’ names. He also added that youth generation in the party moved in the direction of hereditary rule
- Prime Minister Ibrahim Mahlab said in a press conference after he met President Abdel Fatah al-Sisi that the energy crisis will end in November
- Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis killed four persons from al-Sawarka and Remelat tribes in Sinai, claiming they informed the security forces about their movements
- Head of Palestinian delegation in Cairo Azzam al-Ahmed said Israel is responsible of the ceasefire collapsing
Ibn khaldun Center for development studies issued a report on democracy in Arab states in 2013. Egypt was ranked the third worst country in the democratic transformation. Center executive director Dalia Zeyada said the ranking was based after the Brotherhood’s performance during ousted President Mohamed Morsi’s regime.
- Morsi’s trial was adjourned to Aug. 25 in the case of Ithadeya presidential palace
- Ministry of Electricity announced seeking justice between citizens in electricity blackouts