CAIRO: Security forces Sunday killed Fayez Abu Shita, who was accused of abducting then releasing seven soldiers in North Sinai in May 2013, North Sinai Security Deputy Ali Azazi told reporters Sunday.
Four military armored vehicles arrived in central North Sinai to back up security forces in an exchange of fire with militants inside a house where “wanted suspects” were hiding.
The clashes resulted in the injury of three officers and the killing of Shita and Mohamed al-Suweifi, whom the North Sinai Security Directorate described as a “dangerous terrorist,” according to Youm7.
Shita’s daughter was also killed inside the house, but a security source told Youm7 that her father had shot her before he died because he believed she reported him.
A decapitated body was found south of Rafah city in North Sinai Saturday. The bodies of four other men slain in the same manner were recovered earlier this week after Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis posted a video of their slaughter.
Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis claims that the four Bedouins leaked intelligence information to Israel, helping it successfully strike a car in North Sinai, killing three of its fighters during the war on Gaza on July 23. The extremist group said that its militants were involved in striking Israel with rockets, but Egypt denied that Israel violated its airspace.
Local tribes say the beheaded four were killed because they cooperated with Egypt’s military, not Israel.
A few kilometers away in the Gaza Strip, Hamas executed at least 18 Gazans in the wake of the war with Israel over accusations they collaborated with Israel, and helped it to identify precise locations for its targets.
Additional reporting by Mohamed Hussein.