CAIRO: A number of ambulances supported with incubators were sent as backup to serve critical cases at affected hospitals after a massive blackout hit Egypt Thursday, Mohamed Sultan, the head of the Health Ministry’s urgent care and ambulance unit, told Youm7.
After today’s unusual wide scale blackout across Egypt, Sultan said three hospitals in Giza experienced power outages, two of which have had their power restored.
“The [power] crisis is being solved now gradually at Haram Hospital, and electricity has come back on,” Sultan said. He noted that the power was restored at two other hospitals in Sheikh Zayed and 6 October City.
Furthermore, Sultan said that none of the patients were affected due to the sudden power cut that started in the early morning hours of Thursday, that the ambulances were sent just as a “precaution” and that they have not been used so far to transfer any of the patients.
In addition to hospitals, Thursday’s blackout affected Metro train service, forced a number of television channels to stop broadcasting and shut down at least six water treatment plants, Youm7 reported.
The power cut was not due to any kind of “destructive” acts, according to Minister of Electricity Mohamed Shaker, who said that a technical malfunction apparently is the main reason. He also noted that there are ongoing investigations looking into the source of the blackout.
Additional reporting by Dana el-Hadidi