CAIRO: A 22-year-old military private was shot dead in Arish, North Sinai Friday by unknown attackers, a security source in the governorate told Youm7.
Security forces are combing the area in search of the assailants, the source said.
Armed men also shot at security forces in Sheikh Zuwayed, North Sinai early Friday and escaped, and security forces arrested a number of suspects afterwards.
Since Thursday, security forces have been leading a campaign in the area and announced the detention of 10 suspects and the destruction of 36 “terrorist hubs,” which they said are homes and shacks used by alleged militants to launch their attacks.
In related news, in Minya governorate in southern Egypt, unidentified gunmen shot and killed a 27-year-old police officer while he was riding his motorcycle Friday. A 35-year old civilian was also killed in the shooting, Youm7 reported.
Police and military officers have been targeted at their workplaces and on streets since the military ouster of Islamist former President Mohamed Morsi in July last year.
Sinai-based militant group Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis recently posted a video of some of their attacks; in one scene, a military officer was walking down a street when a masked man shot him dead. In another video, four plain-clothed men, who were reportedly off-duty military privates heading home from North Sinai, are forced to lie down on the ground before the militants execute them with gunfire.
Additional reporting by Hassan Abdel Ghaffar and Mohamed Hussein.