The Ministry of Youth and Sport announced the finalists in the “From and to Youth” contest to be held from Sept. 24-28 in Alexandria. The contest aims to promote ending addiction through arts like singing, plays, photography, painting, short stories and poetry.
- The Beheira Ministry of Education deputy said the education directorate in the governorate is planning to finish 26 new schools by the end of 2015.
Alexandria University Vice President Roshdy Zahran said the university has finalized all security and administrative preparations for the new academic year. The university also banned discussing politics and religion on campus.
- Seventy children in Beni Suef governorate have contracted hepatitis A after drinking sewage-tainted water.
Minister of Investment Ashraf Salman said the economic growth rate for fiscal year 2013-14 increased by 2.1 percent. He also added that investment in Egypt is facing big problems, as the general debt represents 94 percent of the total gross domestic product.
- The High State Security Prosecution imprisoned seven members of an alleged takfirist cell linked to Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis for 15 days pending charges of killing a security officer and targeting police checkpoints in Sinai and Ismailia in 2013.
Nine people including two children died after a bus accident on the Desert Road. It was reported that 26 others, mostly foreigners, were injured in the same bus accident as they were on their way back from Luxor to Cairo. The bus was reportedly burnt and charred after colliding with a truck.
- Minister of Education Mahmoud Abou el-Nasr inaugurated two schools in Belbeis village in Sharqia governorate. The two schools cost 5.36 million EGP ($749,386).
President Abdel Fatah al-Sisi is expected to issue four laws Thursday regarding farmers and agriculture. They will include establishing an agricultural fund, a union for farmers and agricultural producers, a law for farming and fishing contracting and a law regulating health insurance for farmers.
- Obour prosecutors have banned four owners of a collapsed factory from travel pending criminal investigation.