CAIRO: The largest unlicensed market in Suez will be removed Saturday as part of a growing crackdown on illegal vendors in the governorate, reported Youm7.
Earlier this morning, security forces placed a large security cordon surrounding El-Arba’een Square where the market is located as a prelude to relocate the vendors.
Suez Security Director Tareq el-Gazar told Youm7 the vendors will be able to re-establish their markets in the Obour, Hawees and Ganayen districts.
In a slum area, El-Arba’een market has become a major traffic obstruction in the square. Also, fireworks and weapons sold in the market have previously been seized before being sold there.
A campaign to remove unlicensed markets was previously adopted in Cairo, where a wide crackdown was launched Aug. 24.
The campaign relocated Cairo street vendors to Torgoman Garage—a location disliked by street vendors because of its lack of traffic and subsequent customers. For this reason, the Cairo governorate tried to stimulate customer movement by agreeing to establish a bus stop in the area, as well as open a discounted school fair there.
But for most of the relocated street vendors, this was little more than window dressing.
“These steps are only in the media and nothing is really on the ground,” Street Vendors’ Syndicate head Ahmed Hussein told The Cairo Post on Sept. 10.
Additional reporting by Mohamed Kamal