CAIRO: A fire that erupted Tuesday at the Ministry of Manpower was contained inside the electricity room and did not damage the ministry’s information center and citizens’ files are safe, the Minister of Manpower Nahed al-Ashry said on Sada el-Balad TV following the incident.
Unverified news by Veto Gate said that “the fire destroyed the entire information database which includes all ministerial data, files of Egyptians working abroad, and the entire ministry’s data on the national level.” Another news source named Masress reported criminal suspicion.
“Everything is safe,” Ashry said, adding that the cause of fire was a short circuit, and that the rest of investigations would be continued Wednesday morning.
Repair work is expected to be completed by Sunday, according to Youm7. The ministry’s website is still down.