CAIRO: Minster of Higher Education Al-Sayed Abd Al-Khaliq suspended 27 students from their universities due to their participation in protests and clashes that took place during the past days since the beginning of the new academic year, Youm7 reported.
Abd Al-Khaliq said the suspensions are for just one year, as other investigations are taking place to determine the details about the clashes that started since last week.
“The students are from Helwan, Alexandria and Zagazig universities, and we are waiting for the results of the rest of investigations.” Abd Al-Khaliq said.
Since start of the academic year, many demonstrations have been conducted by students who called for resistance to new rules by the ministry that ban any kind of political activity.
The ministry hired a private security company, Falcon, to secure entry gates, but it faced harsh demonstrations by the students that destroyed some of their equipment in the first days. Head of the company Shrief Khaled told Al-Masry Al-Youm Tuesday that he has received threatening messages on his mobile phone for securing the universities, “it even started before the beginning of the academic year.”
Some NGOs criticized the police forces involving in the demonstration to disperse it, saying that they used “excessive force:” Amnesty International released a statement Oct. 18 that said at least 35 students had been injured, and three were in critical condition.
About 150 students were arrested during the clashes and two security officers were injured, according to official figures.