The suicide car bombing that killed 31 soldiers and injured dozens in the Sinai Peninsula Friday has topped Sunday’s media headlines.
The Director of the Education Directorate in North Sinai, Hassan Hegazy, said schools will run as usual except for one school near the security checkpoint targeted Friday.
- Deputy Cairo Governor Yassin Taher said the governorate will develop 15 slums in Helwan in southern Cairo at a cost of 150 million EGP ($2 million).
- A source at the Ministry of Transportation said Transport Minister Hany Dahy is considering the dismissal of Railway Authority head Samir Nawar.
Following Friday’s deadly attack in North Sinai, a tourism source denied any cancellation in reservations so far, while security forces in Luxor and Aswan are reported to have intensified their presence at the entrances and exits of the cities.
- Ten Muslim Brotherhood affiliates were detained for 15 days after being arrested in two marches in Alexandria.
A source said a committee will be formed of senior military leaders to study the reasons behind the latest terrorist attacks, and discuss the strategic redistribution of armed forces and police in hotspots in the Sinai.
- The Ministries of Health and Supply provided strategic food items, medical supplies and staff for the Rafah border crossing with Gaza, and citizens in North Sinai will have their needs covered during the three-month state of emergency announced Oct. 24.
- A number of governorates raised flags at half-mast to mourn the deaths of soldiers in Sinai.
- The Giza governorate started a removal campaign in Faisal Street to remove dilapidated cars and vehicles. The campaign removed 25 “tok toks” (rickshaws) and 62 unlicensed motorcycles.
Following the terrorist attack that killed 31 soldiers in Sinai Friday, the cabinet mulls empowering military courts to try terrorism-related crimes.
- President Abdel Fatah al-Sisi accused “foreign powers” for the recent attack that killed 31 soldiers in Sinai Friday.
Security sources said the perpetrators who executed the military attack that killed 31 soldiers in Sinai Friday infiltrated through Gaza smuggling tunnels.