CAIRO: Antiquities Minister Mamdouh el-Damaty has announced the recovery of 950 out of 1,040 ancient Egyptian artifacts stolen from the Malawi National Museum last year, according to a Thursday statement on the ministry’s Facebook page.
During a Thursday inspection visit to several archaeological sites in Upper Egypt’s governorate of Minya, Damaty denounced the slowdown in the restoration work at the museum and said the Malawi National Museum will be completed and re-opened for public on the governorate`s national holiday on March 18.
The Malawi National Museum used to house some 1,040 artifacts spanning 3,500 years of Egyptian history, but was severely damaged and looted by rioters during deadly clashes that erupted across Egypt after the dispersal of the pro-Muslim Brotherhood sit-ins at Rabaa al-Adaweya and Nahda Square in August 2013.
Damaty said the Minya governorate has allocated 7 million EGP ($1 million) for the restoration of the museum, while the cost of the interior design, display cases and lighting system is funded by the Italian government.
He also inspected the construction work at the visitor center and the ferry dock at the Tell el-Amarna site and announced they will be completed by the end of the year.