CAIRO: A series of bomb attacks—three in greater Cairo and one in the Nile Delta city of Menoufia—rocked Egypt Wednesday night and Thursday morning, killing four and injuring at least 10.
Three of the dead were policemen, according to Maj. Gen. Al-Sayed Gad Al-Haq in comments to Youm7. He said the Menoufia attack was due to unidentified terrorists placing explosives beneath the seat of a train carriage, also killing a civilian.
Maj. Gen. Abdel Fatah Osman, an Interior Ministry spokesperson, told TV host Wael al-Ibrashi Wednesday night the bomb was meant to target civilians, not policemen, but the dead officers were killed trying to disarm the bomb after it was discovered. Unfortunately, he added, it exploded on them.
Another explosion occurred at midnight at El-Marg Metro Station in Cairo, according to Youm7. Three people were injured in the blast, but none were killed.
Cairo Metro chief Ali Fadaly said in a statement reported by Al-Shorouq Wednesday that the injured were in stable condition and damage was minimal due to the bomb’s “primitive” manufacturing.
Another five blasts took place early Thursday morning in 10 Ramadan City on the eastern outskirts of Cairo, but, according to Youm7, no one was injured.
Al-Dostor said Wednesday the blasts caused mass panic among local residents, but when special forces arrived, they determined the bombs were nothing but stun grenades.
Yet another blast occurred later Thursday morning beneath Al-Qoba Bridge near Al-Qoba presidential palace.
State-owned Al-Ahram newspaper reported three people were injured due to the blast, and police were combing the area, but no one so far has been arrested.